Friday, April 1, 2011

Her First April 1st

April 1st is the one day a year when my inability to lie stands in the way of my success.

I text my boss this morning and told him I was very sorry to announce my resignation. He had 2 weeks to find my replacement. He responded that I had too much integrity to end this way and that my attempt at a practical joke was lame. I also called Lane and told him there was a 7-8 foot long anaconda in our backyard. He said I was completely unbelievable. Oh well. Maybe next year. I have 364 more days to work on it.

Back to the anaconda. 7-8 times out of 10 that I walk into the backyard (usually 2-3 times per day...do the math) I think I will see a giant snake. It is probably more realistic that I would see some sort of boa constrictor vs. an anaconda, which primarily reside in the Amazon. My point: Can you imagine how often I think about snakes?

I found 2 bull snakes while gardening this weekend. Tiny little guys. I enjoy their company and am happy to have them as a part of the mini ecosystem that is my yard. Thanks, baby bull snakes, for serving a necessary purpose and contributing to the success of the Black Beauty eggplants that are going to make this Spring one to remember. I feel fairly confident in my Spring garden.

Harper played an April Fool's joke on me this AM. She came out of her room with a bag packed of a few of her essentials: Violet, a couple binkies, her green striped bather, 2 swim diapers, and her red sunglasses. Said she was joining a local circus...that they wanted her on the tightrope and to help out in the carnival. She felt like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I started crying and begged her not to go. She said I have always taught her to follow her dreams. I concurred. And then she walked out the front door. I dropped to my knees and sobbed, but knew there was no stopping such an independent woman. About five minutes later she walked back in and and shouted "April Fools! Now make me some banana oatmeal, woman." I ran to the kitchen and we had a lovely breakfast together. Phew...what a whirlwind of a morning. She is about to take a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment